Sunday, December 30, 2007

High Traffic Sunday

Hit the river with Wallace today. Was nice to meet up with David once more this season before it's demise.
I hadn't really planned on fishing today but with a more than favourable report from the day prior and pretty incredible late December weather I felt an itch to get out there while the gettin is good. As per our routine we arrived pre light only to find our access point populated with 2 vehicles. This turned out to be the theme of the morning as the river traffic resembled that of a spring weekend. We managed to find some lonely water up top and worked it hard for a couple hours. Dave managed a couple but I struggled. I was only good for a morning fish so we decided to slip back down to the wintering hole and hope the run had been vacated. On the way I managed to meet up with an older gentlemen that I met last year on the river. George is a very nice fellow in his early 70's still putting quality time in on the river. I truly hope to be as fortunate when I reach those years. We arrived at our destination to see it had indeed been vacated. This is a special place to me and it has provided me with a tonne of memories over the years. Today it was to add a few more ;0) While I fished here I had the pleasure of meeting up with a couple of decent steelheaders that as it turned out share a mutual acquaintance. We actually fished 4 wide in the wintering hole sharing a drift and conversation. I have almost forgotten what it is like to fish with others around. Today was a reminder that with the right crowd exercising angling etiquette it can be an enjoyable experience.

5 comments:

Wallacio said...

Dig my lawn tractor, mullet and "banana hammock"!!!

lambton said...

LOL!!!
That's a "Night Crawler Harvester" your riding.
man that's funny...

Trotsky said...

Both you guys are raving homos...
I hope I can find some elbow room tomorrow or I am going to lose it.
:o)

Anonymous said...

Brian,
It was good to meet you out there today. Its too bad that it was so busy though. Given the low water conditions we faced all year I think everyone was attempting to squeeze a whole season into one week! Good luck to you in 2008!

Erick

lambton said...

Erick,

I second your sentiments. It was a pleasure to meet up with you and Scott(?) and I hope we can share a drift again in the future. This past week has indeed seen increased traffic on that system. I really can't blame anyone for taking advantage of the water. When she is prime it sure is a special place. We are all very fortunate to live within proximity of such a Healthy system.
From what I gather rivers on the West Coast do not produce consistent size and numbers that we have experienced over the last 3or 4 seasons. The Great Lakes Steel Heading Scene is "Where it's At" IMHO
Look forward to our next meeting.
Happy New Years to you and yours.
If you don't mind I would love to pick your brain re: some Ohio tribs. Drop me an email at lambton101@yahoo.ca