Thursday, September 30, 2010

The thing about Salmon...


Salmon, A proud majestic Apex predator of the Great Lakes. A powerful, stealthy creature of grand proportion and prowess. How is it that such a highly evolved species at the top of their food chain can bring such horror to the banks of the world in which they reign. This past weekend I witnessed packs of “sportsman” lining the shores of holy waters chucking concoctions of lead, wire, plastic and occasionally bait into the dark unknown with grand illusions of “catch’n” one for the smoker. I witnessed someone driving down the highway with one arm out the window holding a rope sporting a rotting Chinook. He looked proud! It is sad that one of nature’s grandest spectacles; the annual migration of Salmon; brings out the lowest and darkest element of human nature. Is it the allure of big fish? Is it deeply rooted in custom or tradition? Or… is it the pack mentality? Don’t get me wrong as I am not a tree hugging PETA type but I do believe in ethical fair chase and I sincerely hope mankind are not one day judged by their River Bank Etiquette as I fear we would all be doomed…

1 comment:

Joe said...

It's an awful crowd to be certain, but I still firmly contend that the absolute zenith of 'Shitratdom' is active during the Opening season of Trout in Ontario (affectionately referred to as 'Openers' by the functional illiterati).

That sort of activity puts undue pressure and harvest on spawned out trout, and it jeopardizes future returns via idiots wading over redds and keeping mature, repeat spawners. I've probably hung it up for the last 5 years after Easter, and usually hope for epic floods in late April to flush our finned pals back out to the lake.

NB ~ Congrats on your written publications, very well done. I am still going to heckle you for being a P&S photog, though :D

See you in Nov, I have around 17 days to fish, and will be on my own most days.