Sunday, January 02, 2011

NO!


Well...The Ontario Season really didn't even happen for me this year and it quite honestly ended before it began. I managed to fish the home waters only three times which is a mere flicker of years past. Work was mostly to blame as it has become somewhat of a thorn in my side. It is a double edged sword as it affords me the means to live a finacially worry free existance but in recent times has begun to encrouch upon my persoanal life. It is a personal struggle I am battling. I always thought success would bring me freedom but it is proving the opposite. With recognition comes more responsibility and accoutability and to be quite honest I am coming to my wits end with it all. Perhaps 2011 will find a better balance but I have already had the precursor discussion of major outages and vacation blockages. Life seems to be fighting me these days and it really is beginning to wear me down. Life after 40 has been trying to say the least. But fear not...I will fix things... that is what I am programmed to do and I will find a way to fix this mess. Of my three outings I had the pleasure to fish solo once, an epic day with Norland in the Shire, and the season wrap up with Norland and Harv. This last outing was on the 30th and had the makings of a trip to remember. Well it could of if the river hadn't been frozen solid. The rendevous was relaxed at 8am but the hike was a test of the mind and heart. The snow was a foot deep and tested our wills. Luckily the fires still burn in our hearts and we made short work of the couple of miles or so.
Upon arrival to the river we were pleased to see a free flowing slush free set of rapids but quickly heart broken upon arrival to the frozen over wintering run. It was like yet another kick in the stones that the 2010 season has bestowed upon us. After a short rest we doubled back to make a feable attempt at a semi-open run below the rapids only to give up and make the hike back out of the river valley. Back at the vehicles we regrouped and decided to hit an easy access spot further up river to see if we could find some open water. Arriving to the bridge we could see the river must have some open water by the gathering of cars and trucks. Norland had never fished this water so we pushed our way up river to the forks where we shared the popular section with 5 or so other piscators. The water looked nice but it had been a very long time since I or Norland had shared water with so many others.
Our hearts were not into it but on the same note it was nice to be out with two good friends. The fish seems to be off and I threw everything I had at them in hope to lure one from the emerald depths. Harv made his way up from the tail out and informed me he had one on for a brief encounter and after a few silver flashes released her the old fashioned way. Looking at his rig I noticed he had a rather peculiar bait on his hook. After a rather snide an rude remark pertaining to his plastic white worm I told him to throw a cast threw the spot I had been fishing as I couldn't do a thing with it. And as if the 2010 fishing God's hadn't punished me enough Harv's float dippend and he set up on a nice 4 or 5 lb hen on the White Worm.
Good on old Harv but WTF...Honestly... After a million and one questions Harv went on to inform me that this was the first outing that he has had success on the white worms. Of course it was I thought to myself...lol! I was happy for Harv.
He needed that fish more than I did. Harv had fallen into the same trap as I and hadn't fished for a very long time. I think he told me he only fished the little river once that year and as I recall it was at the very beginning of the season with an old buddy of his. They beat the crap out of them that day but life somehow managed to keep him from the emerald waters after that as well. We called it a day after the white worm episode and parted ways. It was good to see each other and share a final drift on the home waters. Looks like any more outings in the immediate future will have to take place abroad.

3 comments:

Trotsky said...

Work Blows....
I have already started to work some leverage for early March...
I may have half the month off on the tax payers dime...LOL...provided I can shoot straight...

Harv said...

I would not have thought it possible that I only fish her twice in an entire fall season!!!! Oh well, already looking forward to Spring.

I did need that outing though - the fish was a bonus but it felt great to be on the water and it was long overdue to catch up with you two shitstains.

After walking in the snow and then playing hockey that night, I could hardly walk on Friday - my calves were sore as hell!!!!!

lambton said...

Yeah...what was your problem this year? How you could stray away from us two idiots is beyond comprehension. LOL! Your probably a better person for the seperation.
Anyways...gotta make sure we all get together at least once a month and fish. We should hit the hard water over in MI around the corner from the Cabin in the coming weeks.
That Ice-Rube Norland wants a shot at these giant Hybrid Blue Gills in Lake X.