Sunday, November 10, 2013

Humility

I just returned home from three days fishing on the West Side.  I hit the Big Manistee hard out of the Hyde down low on Friday, up top on Saturday and waded around Tippy on Sunday.  The tally was bleak.  0 for 2 Friday, 0 for 2 Saturday with a chunky brown and only another resident brown this morning for my efforts.  That river can be a miserable bitch and just when you think you have her dialed in she redefines the game.  She can be extremely giving one week and excessively stingy the next.  Covering water seems to be the only consistent recipe for success and I'm limited with the Hyde.  Make no mistake...I had my chances this weekend but lady luck was on my adversaries side.  She is a river you don't want to miss any opportunities on and holds her cards tight more than not.  I have been fishing her for some time and I just can't seem to dial in any form of consistency.  When she does reveal her gifts they are outstanding and when those rare moments of monumental success arise the memories are never forgotten.  I have had some pretty crazy days on this river but they are always brought into check by the lessons in humility she quite often serves.  I have seen peers turned away more than not by her bitter acceptance of anyone that has not paid their dues and I have seen her torment them as well with small glimpses of greatness.  It should never really be easy I guess but I have revelled in her glory and accepted her gifts. Once bitten...



1 comment:

JB said...

Let the water fall. You're hitting her too early.