Sunday, July 31, 2011

Manistee Bronze

I awoke this morning at an unscheduled 7 am courtesy of the old school ring tone on my work Blackberry.  I pondered letting it ring and just rolling over and back to sleep before sheepishly reaching over and acknowledging it's existence.  It was indeed work in need of some assistance.  I guess my guys all let their phones ring and rolled over back to sleep once again outsmarting me.  After dealing with the issue at hand I decided I might as well make an early morning of it and get some coffee on.  After all we were at the cottage and the sun was just starting to poke through the trees surrounding the property.

There is something to be said about waking before everyone else and having your morning coffee with nothing more than your thoughts.  I seldom get the opportunity at home but at the cottage I embrace the gift.  There is comfort in the silence here.  The days itinerary consisted of a trip to the garbage disposal, the township office,  and then an afternoon float down the big river in the Hyde. I knew my afternoon would be filled with fishing opportunity but for some reason the river was calling me this morning .  After a quick breakfast I informed my wife that I would be hitting the river for no more than an hour or two and would most certainly be back in time to run our scheduled day. 

On the drive to the access I finalized my game plan an figured I would have no more than an hour on the water before having to make the hike out and drive back to the cabin.  Arriving at the parking lot I grabbed my gear and made the ascent to the river.  Arriving to the coffer I was astonished by just how many people were fishing the water I had intended on floating.  The river was pretty much locked down and I watched in disbelief as the fly guys and lure chuckers dealt their crafts.  After a couple of minutes I decided to call it and head back up the stairs to the van.  On my way back up I talked myself into having a look above the coffer.  Once again there were a few guys but plenty of room for me to put in a few drifts.

I paused in a state of indecisiveness as I was torn between making a feeble attempt at this water or hiking back to the car and getting on with the original game plan for the day. I started to make the climb up and turned back to the river for a few drifts.  I'm glad I did for it wasn't long until I discovered a steep drop off and current break that held a pod of Manistee Bronze.  Funny how things that seem to be working against you turn around for the better.  I spent no more than an hour down on the river and managed no less than 5 Smallies and a few browns.  I am not a bass guy but Smallmouth on the pin with the big rods are always a blast.  That's the best hour I've spent on the river all summer. And to think I almost bailed on the entire opportunity.

No comments: